If you’re ever in an accident, it’s easy to forget what to do right away. Follow these five steps to ensure the safety of you, your passengers and everyone else involved:
- Call the Police. Even for small accidents, call 911. Police will help redirect traffic and document the incident.
- Avoid Additional Damage. Move your car from the roadway as soon as possible to prevent additional collisions.
- Get the Right Information for the Insurance Process. You’ll need the other driver’s name, license, phone number, insurance information and license plate number.
- Document the Accident. From taking pictures of the damage and the overall accident to interviewing witnesses and taking down their information. The more accident evidence you can gather for the insurance claim, the better.
- File an Accident Report. File a state vehicle accident report (available at police stations and DMV websites) to help speed up the claims process.
Be a safe driver. Take the National Drivers Test!
Share and compare your scores with your family and friends and determine who the smartest and safest driver is! Visit www.nationaldriverstest.com and click on the National Drivers Test button to see how you size up.